Why do some guys have hover hands? How to avoid the hover hand? Everyone knows the hover hand, and yet, no one really knows why some guys do this, and why they just can’t stop!
Just in case you don’t know yet, we’ve got you covered! Hover hands are something we see exclusively in a photograph, because nothing captures an awkward moment like a photo does, don’t you think?
Hover hand is that weird hand gesture when a guy “confidently” places his arm over a girl’s shoulder only to realize he isn’t confident enough to touch her. So he ends up hovering his hand over the girl’s shoulders. It makes him look funny, awkward AF, and everything about that moment is hilarious, weird and cringe-worthy!
And how do we see these happen? In millions of pictures snapped by someone else! A guy wants to have his picture clicked with a girl. He wants to appear close to her, and supremely confident too. But in those few moments before someone clicks the picture, his hand just magically floats and hovers up in the air because he can’t handle the girl’s “hotness”!
[Read: How to stop being shy around your crush and get their full attention]
Okay, so we know that hover hands are a laugh. But there’s a lot to learn from it.
Ever wondered why some guys hover hands in the first place? Here are a few insights into why some guys hover their hand, and what guys and girls can do to help avoid the infamous hover hand in the first place.
If you’re a shy guy, it’s time to stretch your arms, and grow a pair. Serious!
If you’re a girl, well, lucky you. All you have to do is stand and smile while getting clicked. The odds of you ever having hover hands are infinitesimally low, because somehow it’s always the guy who wants to wrap his arm around a girl! *and hover it instead!*
The advantage of being a girl is the fact that she can pretend to be coy and demure and stand with her hands clasped in front of her, even if she’s really nervous. It’ll still make her look cute and yet, sexy. [Read: How to look cute – 25 ways to exude cuteness and melt any guy’s heart]
But when you’re a guy, there’s just nothing you can do but avoid the hover hand in the first place. After all, it’s a “man thing” to place an arm around the girl to show dominance and ownership, to all other men, right? Ahem, maybe you forget that this isn’t a nineteenth century family portrait!
There are many reasons behind why some guys suffer from a bad case of hover hands, but it all comes down to these twelve reasons.
1. He’s not feeling comfortable around the girl. She’s too sexy for him.
2. He’s too respectful of the girl. [Read: How to respect women – We’re so glad you want to know this today]
3. He’s too afraid to touch the girl he’s getting snapped with. Definitely intimidated by her!
4. He’s scared she’ll nudge his hand away or give him a dirty stare for touching her.
5. He wants to make a nice, good-boy impression on the girl by keeping his hands away. [Read: 20 types of physical touches and what each touch means]
6. He thinks she has a boyfriend *who might get jealous*.
7. The girl may be dating his friend *and the friend might get jealous*.
8. His own girlfriend may be around and *his girlfriend might get jealous*.
9. He thinks he’s brave and cool but realizes he’s not when he has to place his arm over her. [Read: How to become a better guy and make girls like you]
10. He thinks he’ll touch her breasts if his hands get any closer.
11. He’s way too excited and perverted. In his mind, touching her arm with confidence is akin to tweaking her nipples.
12. He assumes the girl doesn’t want him to touch her *which can be true at most times*.
[Read: The different types of creepy guys all girls try to avoid as much as possible]
Now all hover hands aren’t bad. Sometimes, it may just work in your favor when it comes to impressing a girl who likes a shy guy.
1. Good girls and jealous girls trust you more because you don’t try grabbing another girl every time you’re getting snapped.
2. Hover hands lets a girl know that you respect her enough to avoid touching her for no reason. [Read: What is chivalry? The Knights’ code and modern day chivalry]
3. Girls can get drunk around you without the fear of getting grabbed by you.
4. You’d be seen all over the internet and you may become famous.
5. Girls think you’re a nice guy… *make that a nice virgin*.
As with all good sides, here are the bad sides of the hover hand.
1. Cool guys and guys who get the prettiest girls won’t like hanging out with you.
2. Hover hands make you look like an idiot.
3. You’d be seen all over the internet and you will be laughed at.
4. You look weak and supremely low on confidence.
6. All other guys think you’re a dumb guy… *make that a dumb virgin*.
[Read: 30 alpha male characteristics that make you a real alpha]
Okay, let’s imagine the scenario. You’re in the presence of feminine energy and beauty, and someone takes out their phone to take a photo. Think fast! If you don’t think you’re capable of putting your arm around a girl, or wrapping her tight in your manly embrace, just don’t do it. It’s that simple!
Think you can pull it off? Go right ahead, and place your arm on her shoulder until you can feel it rest firmly. And then, the most important part here, is to take your fingers and clasp the end of a girl’s shoulder gently, or her upper arm lightly, but purposefully.
Most guys manage to place their arms over a girl’s shoulder, but where they go wrong is with their fingers. Don’t be that guy. The most important thing you need to do, to avoid a hover hand, is to keep those fingers busy. Always focus on those fingers, and you’ll never ever have to worry about another hover hand nightmare photo for the rest of your life! [Read: How to be confident – The 20 life hacks you need to implement right away]
If you’re too scared to wrap a girl in your arms, or place your arm over her shoulder, and yet, you want to look like a cool guy who’s comfortable around women, here are a few tips that can make you look good while getting a picture clicked with her.
Wrap your arm from behind her back, and place your fingers over her shoulder or over her upper arm. If you feel awkward to keep it over her shoulder, you can bypass the whole step by using this move. You’d look confident, and look ma, no hover hands!
Don’t float your hand into the photo frame at all, instead, dangle it behind her back and lean in closer to her. Or place it around her waist. *Ooh, the waist is a sexy move! Well done!* [Read: How to turn a girl on with your touch and make her melt into you]
It’s still a hover hand though. But this is your last resort to salvage any pride left once your hand’s already come into the frame. Just stick your fingers out and make some sign or gesture with your fingers. Common, but shitty signs idiots use – The peace sign or the middle finger. *go home later and smack your head on a wall, will ya?!*
All of us have suffered from a hover hand at some point in our lives, be it in the eighth grade or a few weeks ago. But it’s all about learning. If you’re suffering from a bad case of the hover hand, here are a few things you need to remember.
A confident guy doesn’t suffer from embarrassing incidents like the hover hand. Stop worrying what the world thinks of you all the time. Just work your courage and place your hands on a girl’s shoulder firmly. You’ll see how easy it can be only after you try it. [Read: How to have swag – 22 confident ways to look cool doing anything!]
Events where you get snapped with girls are a great excuse to bond with them, hang out with them, and most importantly, get closer to them.
When you wrap your arm around her, you’re only doing it for the photo, and there really is nothing bad about it. it’ll grow your confidence, and you’ll feel more in control the next time the same opportunity shows up. [Read: How to feel good about yourself and kick ass in aspects of life]
If the girl comes really close to you while clicking a photo, and almost leans into you, it clearly means you’re allowed to hold her or wrap your arm around her. Why else would she come close? If she thought you’re creepy, she’d take a picture from a mile away using a really long selfie stick, not inch closer and stick to your large, manly chest!
Remember what you’re touching, it’s just her shoulder. You’re not manhandling her or pawing her. You’re just being nice, and decent. Just don’t let the awkwardness show in your face while clicking a photo though. [Read: 50 cute and sexy things guys do that girls absolutely love]
You can take your hands off the girl’s shoulder as soon as the photo’s clicked. She’ll understand that you weren’t trying to sexually harass her if you don’t linger your hands, or vary the pressure constantly with your fingers like you’re tapping Morse code on her shoulders.
As long as you continue the conversation and avoid sounding awkward and uncomfortable after the photo’s taken, things will go just fine. [Read: How to talk to a girl – The secrets to smooth talk and impress girls]
Now, on the other hand, if you’re a girl and you’re hanging out with a shy guy, and wondering how to get him to stop with the hover hands, here’s what you need to do to help him grow into a man.
[Read: How to flirt with a shy guy and help him open up to you]
If you’re standing next to him, ready to pose, and don’t feel his arm on your back or over your shoulder, try this!
1. Get close to him so he knows it’s okay for him to get close to you.
2. Grab his palm with your hand as he places it on your shoulder so he feels more confident.
3. Ask the person clicking the photo to take another photo and get even closer so he can take a real hint.
4. Tell the guy that it’s okay to touch you. He’ll be really grateful to hear it straight from you.
[Read: Nice guy syndrome – 16 things nice guys do and how to fix every one of them]
Guys who use the hover hand are not bad guys. They’re just awkward guys in awkward circumstances. And now that you know what really goes on in their mind, play nice and help them overcome it. Or just share another funny hover hand picture of theirs!
Liked what you just read? Follow us on Instagram Facebook Twitter Pinterest and we promise, we’ll be your lucky charm to a beautiful love life.
Related in LovePanky
34 Sexual Questions to Ask a Girl Over Text & Make Her Horny & Wet
Feminine Guys: 40 Signs of a Man in Touch With His Softer Side
How to Get a Girl to Have Sex With You By Arousing Her Very Subtly
How to Be a Wingman: A Full Guide to Become the Best Wingman Ever
LOVEPANKY IN YOUR INBOX
Get the very best of LovePanky straight to your inbox!